Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Started Oct 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,745Gear list
Like?
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?
In reply to kelpdiver, Oct 5, 2011

kelpdiver wrote:

So what are some examples of this? The extra pound of an SLR + kit lens (equaling the compacts) isn't going to kill you. And the bulk of the smaller rebels doesn't hurt that badly either. Mine have taken up past 19 thousand feet (7d) and 170 ft below (20d).

Battery life is another vital difference. Thanks to the OVF, I took 1000 pics over the weekend and still have 60% of the battery life remaining. Doesn't matter for a short excursion where you can easily recharge, but definitely a big deal when you're away from home for a while.

The limitations of the 90 interfere a lot with what I want to do. Not wide enough, not deep enough, too slow, bad in low light. It's perfect for taking a picture of a person or two at a 5-15ft range. Landscapes? It's a terrible hiking camera. The 7d + 15-85 + a good binocular harness destroys it.

I have never seen a hiker/backpacker with a dSLR in the tens of thousands of miles I have spent on the trails. I am speaking of real hikers/backpackers of course, not those ridiculous wannabe weekend warriors who head out for a couple miles in jeans and their sporting goods store backpacks. Who wants to hike 10-20 miles with a camera swinging on their neck and if it's in your pack, who wants to take their pack off every time a photo op arises? I have spoken to a small handful of guys/gals who do occasionally bring them on special trips (e.g. someone making a first-time trip to Yellowstone), but a dSLR as an everyday hiking cam? Very, very rare.

There are those who live to take photos and then there are those who take photos of life. It is only the overwhelmingly arrogant individual who thinks that his needs are reflective of everyone's needs.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow