Going to Barcelona - where do i go ?

Started Nov 25, 2002 | Discussions thread
SASand
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
Watch for pickpockets
In reply to Antony Blake, Dec 12, 2002

Tony, Barcelona is a beautiful city, but watch out for pickpockets—there are more pickpockets in transit and tourist areas than in any other city I have ever visited, including those in South America, Asia, Africa etc. As long as you know they are there, they are not that hard to spot. After having been warned about thieves by a nice elderly gentleman at Parc Guell, my husband and I sat down at P. Catalunya, with the camera bag between us. Within minutes one man came up gesturing to a paper in his hand and wanted to know where the Banco de Bilbao was. We both realized immediately that we had been targeted, and I saw another man walking off with my camera bag. I was closest to him and gave chase, saw the guy walk into the crosswalk to go out of the square. I started yelling at the top of my lungs for the SOB to drop my bag (in English of course) and with everyone in the square looking at him, the guy set my camera bag down in the street and walked away. So I got my equipment back, but it was a close call. Be especially careful in Las Ramblas, Placa de Catalunya, Sagrada Famiglia, the Metro, even in hotel lobbies.

As far as photographic subjects, it is hard to beat the architecture. In addition to wonderful buildings by Antoni Gaudi, there are other nouveau buildings in the areas of Barcelona that were built around the turn of the century.
--
sasand

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow