Scratching my head: 70-300 VR, D7000 sharpness

Started Oct 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
JSees
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: Scratching my head: 70-300 VR, D7000 sharpness
In reply to nfpotter, Oct 4, 2011

nfpotter wrote:

Well of course. That's what we're talking about. Mine was a MASSIVE crop, I'll try to post the full one later.

Naturally, the more you fill the frame, the better.

The image above was cropped so that there are only about 1 million pixels left out of the original 16 million. It was shot at ISO 800 from an unsteady platform. The lens was at its limit, where it is weakest. Despite all this, the image still retains quite a bit of detail. It really isn't clean enough for me to be completely happy with it, but it does demonstrate that the lens is quite capable, as Reilly says. Even in the hands of a duffer like me, it can do well.

When I say something is wrong, I mean that there is detail missing in nfpotter's image that I would expect to be able to see, even with the MASSIVE crop. His image has about the same number of pixels left as mine. Perhaps his lens isn't working like it should, since I'm quite sure he is, in general, a better, more experienced photographer than I am.

The image below isn't cropped quite so much (it has all of 1.5 MP left), and it was taken at the short end of the zoom range of the lens. It was a quick grab shot from the kayak. I never got a chance to zoom for another shot. Still, it retains quite a bit of detail. There's no PP on this at all, except cropping.

The problem eNo is having is clearly not a matter of reaching the limits of the resolution of the lens, since other similar images are sharper. Further, his subject matter fills much more of the original frame than either of the eagle examples. Like nfpotter, eNo has far more experience than I do. Still, I wouldn't blame the lens, except that it might not have focused fast enough or accurately enough for the particular images in question. Whether that is caused by the lens or the body driving it, and whether environmental factors at that particular time and place mght have contributed requires someone with much more experience than I to answer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@eN0New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow