Some thoughts about 36 Mp D800' rumour...

Started Oct 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
Re: 36mp - Unlikely, based on Nikon's past history
In reply to Optimus47, Oct 4, 2011

Optimus47 wrote:

Nikon, at least to me, seems to be the only company that has done a pretty good job of resisting the megapixel race.

Nikon has had a 24mp camera since 2008.

Nikon has always emphasized picture quality, speed of operation, low noise and high iso capability over the megapixel count.

Not always, only since 2007. Before D3 we were stuck with uncompetitive sensors.

But yes, Nikon themselves said image quality is a priority for them now. Why do you think this has changed? Whatever they come out with, I expect image quality to be superior over the current cameras.

The D2h, D70, D3, and even the latest V1/J1 (not to mention several others) are good examples of this. Despite the common complaint (from Nikon consumers) that the MP count is too low, Nikon has for the most part stuck with its philosophy.

D2h was an awful example. It handed the pro market to Canon, it was a camera that forced legions of Nikon shooters to dump all of their gear and switch to Canon.

I would also be shocked if Nikon decided to compete with MF offerings...

Oh, there wont be any competition. When Nikon and Canon move into 36+ mp territory, it'll be another huge blow to medium format companies and they're already on life support.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow