ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Xveys
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
D7000 focusses on its own (grip issue?) - Nikon won't repair
Oct 4, 2011

Hello,

I've had an annoying problem with my D7000 that I haven't encountered on the forums yet.

Sometimes (it's sporadic) my D7000 focusses on its own, without me touching my shutter release (not even accidentally...). I'm not touching any other buttons, before anyone asks. It's a very short focus, not all the way until it focusses completely. Sometimes it just hunts.

It gets extremely annoying and problematic when I am reviewing pictures, because then suddenly the screen goes black and i cannot review anything. The preview button won't work because the lens is focussing then. Same thing when I am in a menu. I have to wait until the camera stops having its own way until I can review my photos again, or go to a menu. I know it's a camera issue, since i have it with all my lenses: Nikkor 18-105 VR, Sigma 70-200 2.8 and Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF-D. It even occurs with the AF-D lens.

I have been told that it could have something to do with the grip. I have a MB-D11 (not a fake one), and someone once told me that the contact in the grip causes it to focus the camera, and that it was a defect in the circuit board of the camera.
Maybe it's a bad contact atthe lens mount? Or the shutter button?

I sent my camera in to Nikon to have it repaired, but they just sent it back to me saying they could not reproduce the problem. This is extremely annoying, since I know this issue will keep on happening. Mind that it is not all the time, it is really erratic, I cannot reproduce the fault when I want it, which makes it even worse. It's disheartening that Nikon isn't helping me out... Having my camera 3 weeks out for repair is already annoying, but getting it back without it being repaired is really sad.

Has anyone also had this problem with your D7000, or with another camera? Is it really the grip, or is it the camera that has a fault in it? I'd really like to have this forum's opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow