Started Oct 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
compupro
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
NEX size and expectations
Oct 4, 2011

There seems to be a lot of discussion about the size of the NEX and the objectives available. People are expecting to get smaller pancake style lenses. My point is that the NEX is a most flexible tool accepting plenty of different components to meet your needs. The size of the objective does not matter at all. The only size related issue in my mind is the handling of the whole package - camera and the lens when operating with e.g some heavy telephoto lens. This could be addressed by some extra handles etc in the future.

Here you see two alternatives for a wide objective. The smaller is the kit 16mm and the other a Tokina 11-16mm f2,8 with a Nikon adapter. You have side by side a small portable Sony and a very good Tokina wide zoom with a size of sixpack. Both are available, both work nicely but meet very different needs. I don't complain the size.

Here you have three objectives of different sizes and specs. There is the huge and powerful Tokina, the standard kit zoom lens wit NEX-5 and a Zeiss 35mm f2,0 Biogon wit a Leica M adapter.

So is this NEX system small, should it target to be small or what is it after all?

To me it is mainly a most flexible platform adapting small and large, new and old lenses. A great platform!

I still remember the 80's when I had an Olympus OM-10, a very capable camera at that time. Unfortunately Olympus didn't provide any road to apply the components in the digital era (except some recent adapter solutions). Now I can use and experiment wit all my NEX, Olympus and Nikon lenses with this marvelous NEX platform.

I understand that there are different expectations regarding the future of the NEX family. My priority is the overall flexibility.

Waiting anxiously for the NEX-7!

Lauri

compupro's gear list:compupro's gear list
Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow