teleconverters, digital zoom, zoom lenses

Started Oct 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
breth
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: teleconverters, digital zoom, zoom lenses
In reply to iMac, therefore iAm, Oct 2, 2011

Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it.

I see that there are mostly negative opinions about the use of digital zoom and/or teleconverters, at least with MFT lenses.

Thanks for the mention of a participant on the Olympus forum that uses the 70-300mm. - I'll check this out.

I am well aware of the different "feel" of a shot taken of a human subject from a distance as opposed to closer up - however, this and the less-than-ideal IQ are a price I'm willing to pay. I'm not into photography enough that I'm looking to use my camera technique to "experience" an interaction with strangers. I think there are a lot of better ways (for me personally, at least) to achieve this. Just need some interesting photographic mementos for looking back, and regular 28-140 type zooms are not giving me this when it comes to taking candid shots in places like markets, cafes, artisan workshops, farms, etc.

I've just read about the new superzooms that have come out - the Canon sx40 and the Panasonic FZ150 - and I just might go through a round with one of those before I decide on something with a larger sensor, although I'd really like to skip this stage. My main problem is that I live very far away from any serious camera shop, and my purchase will be done mostly through online research.

So thanks for helping me with this research.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow