Started Oct 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,222Gear list
Like?
inane challenge rules
Oct 1, 2011

I recently submitted a photo to the "Where I went this summer 2011 version" challenge. The rules included this superfluous gem:

You must state in the caption:
"Date and place taken"
I have read the rules and this complies with those rules"

I looked at other submissions, many actually included in the description of the picture "I have read the rules and this complies with those rules". Many others had not. It decided that since dpreview's submission form has a checkbox stating that you read and understood and are complying with the rules, that this was unnecessary. Moreover, it does not in any way belong in the "caption" (which the entry form calls a "Description") about the picture. And, suppose I wrote that, but the challenge host determined that the photo didn't meet the entry rules - he would disqualify it anyway, of course; so the attestation is meaningless. I couldn't believe that was really the rule.

Somewhat to my surprise, my entry was disqualified the (anonymous) challenge host wrote:

"Does not follow the rules of entry. Incomplete caption. Please re read the rules and re enter your image with complete caption. I do like the caption that you did put, though. If you are not sure about how to write the caption, please see the other entries for a template.

Regards,

Challenge Host"

I know what was wrong with the caption, it did not include the phrase "I have read the rules and this complies with those rules". I purposely did not follow that rule. I for one will not submit to such an arbitrary, not photo related, useless rule. I am surprised such a rule can be enforced. I will not change my mind and resubmit to follow it.

Dpreview has rules that a challenge host must follow also, I think requiring an exact quote like that in the caption is arbitrary enough that it must violate those rules. Just because someone hosts a challenge shouldn't mean they can make up rules that have nothing to do with the photo being submitted, IMHO.

Thank you for reading this.

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow