Started Oct 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rdardas
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Organizing Photo Collection
Oct 1, 2011

I have a digital photo collection going back ten years that badly needs organizing. I need some encouragment to dive into what will be a very ambitious task involving categorizing over 50,000 images for rapid recall by complex category (for instance birds in flight from Florida between 2005 and 2010).

The images are presently backed up internally on a seperate editing computer used only for that purpose, an external Network Associated Storage Device and finally, external self standing archive drives that are not attached to the computer or power unless in use. This system seems to me to be about as reasonably secure as what I need as an amateur photographer.

All images have been post edited with Photoshop in its then current version and has a RAW image as well since 2007. I have been shooting with a Sony A700 and get good enough RAW conversion with PS5 for my purposes, but understand the those from Lightroom are slightly better (who knows if or why), so my preference for this task would be Lightroom 3 (understanding that version 4 is on the near horizon).

My main question is: how easy is it to move from one Lightroom version to the upgrade with respect to already categorized images? Additionally does the present Lightroom version know when one of the images, in its collection, know when the image on the data disk has beed modified with respect to category and automatically update, or does that image or file folder have to be re-added to the Lightroom library.

Any comments are most welcome

rdardas's gear list:rdardas's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow