Started Oct 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Tthe Brick & mortar camera shop of yesteryear
Oct 1, 2011

I still wonder about the amount of camera shops closing in the recent Digital world. An example in the long Island area, is a second generation shop that had been in the quiet but exclusive town of "Great Neck" They were a landmark, had been there from the early 60's. It was still two partners, yet younger, when they moved a few towns over about 10 years ago. One partner was like my best friend and the other one I tolerated. Eventually, a few years back, they closed down the new store, and my friend opened a somewhat different kind camera store, A new kind of camera store that's also a school and a photographic museum, as he is a "Master Photographer" I'm glad that he survived, he's a guy you can trust, full of Skill, his work is unmatched! There are no counters, just a couch and some chairs on two levels. You can buy what you need, learn how to use it and also make a friend. A friend you can trust!

Through the years, their prices were competitive, they never steered you wrong and their customers were all friends as well/ What they agreed on was that it was "Digital" that changed their business, as I have heard so many times before from many camera shop owners. Although we all complain about something, we can't deny that this is a very interesting time to be in photography. We can shoot pictures at an event, and have them in the office within a few seconds. Everyone is walking around with a camera, even if it's in their phone. There are cameras on every street, stoplight, and some that catch speeders. The technology is nothing short of amazing. So why is it that so many shops closed and blamed it on digital. In Manhattan, it's obvious, but not everyone wants to buy that way. I know I'm still doing pretty much the same, Shooting photo's, writing a story and sending it in to the office. On saturday, I find myself looking at more photographic equipment. Even though they sell cameras in the appliance store to the candy store, it's not what we use. We still need "real equipment" Is it just an excuse, that Digital put them out of business? I never processed film at the camera shop, so I don't see the difference, If anything, there's more cameras & equipment available by the day. I for one, like to go to the camera specialty store. And to be abled to take a class there, even the better. But I don't see digital bringing it down, in fact I think it's just the opposite. Pictures on my computer, my tv, rotating pictures in a frame, pictures of speeders, thieves, and the best portrait work ever. It took some time to admit it, but I think Digital saved photography! ....Joe Prete

PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow