What is the benefit of digital photography?

Started Sep 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Bellars
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
What is the benefit of digital photography?
Sep 30, 2011

I posted this on the Ricoh forum but as it is a more open question rather than Ricoh specific, I will repost here....

It is Friday evening and I'm home thinking about what I'll be up to tomorrow. No particular plans but that is OK as, with a camera in hand I can go out and take more and more shots that I might look at once or so. Digital photography has made it all so easy and without the cost of film to get in the way we can all 'experiment' , shoot off a few in any case just in case something good is caught on the sensor.

Digital photography has allowed me to live as I saw the pros in he film days do. Shoot till the cows come home, bracket everything and something worthwhile will come out of it. Perhaps like me you are snowed under in images that you are keeping 'lest there is nothing else to post' - yet are not entirely happy with . They have a touch of the nonchalence of Moriyama Daido or Araki, of the amateurism of Hiromix but really, even in good light they don't amount to much ( like a lot of what many photographers produce) It is the reportage alone that carries them. A blurred, rushed shot of something that would not have made you bring out our cameras or waste film on. Little composition just a wave of an arm with a camera at the end of it.

What has digital done to us? Allowed us to snap it all. Like facebook has allowed us a say in it all ( though it is of little consequence. When will we learn that less is more?

The one thing that the digicame has done for me is what an art school education also did for me; it has taught me to look and to see. Like a driver giving chase and having to guess what lies ahead and how the other drivers will move, having my camera with me has let me see 100-200 yards ahead and enjoy the potential in what I come across.Though the results are not always as exciting as i thought they might have been, I have enjoyed the fact that, camera in hand, I have had the world opened up for me wherever I go.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88974125@N00/
Peter

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow