Started Sep 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Doug MacMillan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you ever been a Pro?
In reply to chiane, Sep 29, 2011

chiane wrote:

Doug,

I think wedding photographers seem to forget that they are the hired help. Your job is to around the scene, not in spite of it. Sometimes I wonder who is the jackass and who is the one having to put up with it.

You didn't answer my question. Have you ever been a professional wedding photographer?

Yes strictly speaking we're the hired help. Luckily, I only worked for one client that treated me that way. The rest of my customers regarded our relationship as a partnership. This is a very special day for them there's few people with whom they'll spend more time than with the photographer. Because of their viewpoint, wedding photography for me was an overwhelmingly positive experience. I've had numerous couples who, after praising me for the photography, remarked how easy it was to work with me and that my calm demeanor had done a lot to help them relax and enjoy the day.

You seem interested in putting "mere" wedding photographers in their place. I'm sure you feel superior to them. I have a different approach. I treat those with whom I come in contact with decency and respect, whether they be my plumber, the teenage girl behind the Chik-Fil-A counter or the custodian at the county garbage dump. It's a treat to see their eyes light up when it is apparent I acknowledge there's actually a feeling human being with whom I'm relating. If I can leave just one person feeling a little better, then I've had a successful day.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow