Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?

Started Sep 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
VueFinder
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Went to the wedding!
In reply to chiane, Sep 29, 2011

The replies really took off for this one!! Thank you to everyone who gave their opinions, observations, experiences.

I went to the wedding and brought said DSLR. The last wedding I went to before this one I was asked to be the photographer for the reception only. I took some gorgeous photos and the bride and groom were very happy. I didn't pay much attention to anyone elses camera habits. Therefore, when going to this one as a "guest" I was not sure of the proper etiquette. I have not been to a wedding before these two in maybe 10 years.

So, as I was saying I went to the ceremony with my 7d and non obtrusive 30mm lens. I hid it under my sweater as i was nervous it would be annoying. As the bride came down the hill, I was in the last row and had a wonderful view of her. As I was timid to actually take pics, (i had to bring the camera to the ceremony as I could not leave it anywhere before the reception) i looked to my right and left and TWENTY people had their camera out, even with flash enabled! At this point I realized, big camera or not....EVERYONE else had a camera! I took a few pics and even got a great one of the flower girl.

At the reception, same thing. Everyone had a camera and was NOT shy about using it, even with flash. I guess I was out of touch with weddings!

The pro's hired to do the wedding were amazing, as staying out of their way was a no brainer as I could hardly ever notice them.

And.....did anyone else bring a "big" camera? YES! At least 3 people were there with their camera right around their neck and ready to take any photos they wanted.

moral of the story? STOP WORRYING.

VueFinder's gear list:VueFinder's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow