IBIS Issues Related To E-P3, E-PL3, And E-PM1...

Started Sep 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
e_dawg
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
Re: IBIS Issues Related To E-P3, E-PL3, And E-PM1...
In reply to nboyer, Sep 29, 2011

I had the E-P1 and now have the E-P3. I haven't done any formal testing, but in use, i find the IBIS of the PENs to be generally less effective, or more importantly, less tolerant than the IBIS on my E-520 and E-3 bodies. I find it similar to the IBIS on my Sony A900, Panasonic 14-45 OIS lens.

By less tolerant, i mean you have to be more careful with your technique and try different shutter speeds for optimal results. Not as foolproof as the classic 4/3 bodies' IBIS. You can't just turn and fire at whatever you see. I found with the E-520 and E-3 that you can even be a little bit sloppy with your technique, stabbing at the shutter release, etc. and it will still cover up your mistakes regardless of the shutter speed. With the PENs, Panny 14-45 OIS, and A900, i've found that you have to be smoother and more careful when you fire the shutter or else you can get jittery or blurry pics.

In other words, i'm saying don't think that the IBIS on the PENs is not that good. On the contrary. It's perfectly competitive with other stabilization systems. For former 4/3 shooters, I think sometimes we take for granted how good the IBIS system was in the classic 4/3 bodies. More than the maximum effective stabilization range (e.g., 2-3 stops), i found it was the outstanding tolerance and flexibility of the system that really did it for me. Most other stabilization systems i've found aren't as effective in such a wide range of situations.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow