A normal prime for landscape?

Started Sep 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,097
Like?
Re: 35mm f2 examples
In reply to MoreorLess, Sep 29, 2011

MoreorLess wrote:

Where does "closeup/macro" end and "landscape" begin? again I'm not that interested in sematics but part of the reason I'm looking at a prime is that I want the ability to isolate focus without having to get so close as I had to with that 10mm shot.

Well, seems to me what you are looking at then is not bit landscape vistas, but to isolate something in the foreground. You said yourself, you want more distance. Somehow again, it sounds more like you want something in the longer focal range, i.e. 50mm, or even a 60mm macro to achieve what you are looking for.

In any case, you have all the focal lengths already at your disposal, so you should be able to tell yourself what focal length you want to use, and then increase the DOF.
But longer focal lengths tend to allow you to isolate your subject better.

I have looked at 24mm aswell but the 24mm 2.8 is too slow(I'd probabley buy a Tamron 17-50 2.8 instead) and the Sigma 's price and the talk of AF problems put me off. Going that wide would also bring me closer to what I'v already got from my zooms in terms of appature.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow