Started Aug 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,740
Like?
Re: Basically I agree with you, but...
In reply to danm_cool, Sep 29, 2011

danm_cool wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

But since you have taken the liberty of making such rude and idiotic comment, please feel free to explain your point as well, since the above seems to be nothing else than a rude personal revenge to my comments concerning the overexposed image you presented in your OP. Anyway, now that you made it clear that you are a master of photography; please explain in your own words what is wrong in the composition of this image?

First of all I am no master in photography, but a keen amateur, sorry for the "rude" on your artistic style, I retract that.

OK. I did not ask for apology but for an explanation of what you regard was wrong in my images according to you. It was about this comment:

"By the way, looking at your pics from La Defense/France I think that you skipped composition classes, especially those about using wide angles"

Second I try to follow this simple rule when using a wide angle: fill in the foreground, which translates into put something in the foreground that helps the eye to read (enter) the picture, that drives the lecture of the picture to the background, or simply helps measuring the background with a closer object.

Fine. I believe every one of my images I presented here qualifies those requirements and a little bit more as well, especially the two WA images. The first one definitely leads the eye into the image and to the SFR building, using the dark ground tiles as leader line plus the thumb, both pointing to the SFR building which is nicely lit and exposed. In the second image the lines from the left and right bottom corners, which together with that centre line are creating an arrow, pointing from the Grande Arche to the Arc de Triomphe in the heart of Paris, the buildings left and right are creating the frame and continue to keep the eyes in the image. You should see that image larger… Though I hate the truck on the left and the shadow, I already mentioned both.

Third when using a camera to create jpegs for me it does not mean using the green mode, but avoid fiddling images on the computer, trying to get the right exposure, composition, etc. straight out of the camera.

Using the camera to create JPEGs or raws make actually no real difference in my opinion. If you expose right and set up the camera as you want it will take the image and there is no need for any fiddling at all in the computer if everything is done right in the camera. The advantage of raw is that in case there are some errors, those are easier to correct in raw if you decide to do it . But it is still your choice to fiddle or not. I shoot raw and fiddle as little as necessary in the computer.

It is a misunderstanding to believe that if you shoot raw you have to spend hours in front of a computer fixing the image. It is an option, not something you must do. Also, if you mess up your image totally, even in raw there are limits... so proper exposure and composition is just as necessary as in JPEG.

As for composition, there is zero difference in that respect since it has nothing to do with the file format. I do most composition changes in JPEG, only occasionally I crop in raw and almost never clone out anything in raw since it is so much easier in JPEG. The camera/lens angle is as it is, it can not be changed in raw. The exception is lens related corrections, those are also easier in raw, but to a degree possible even in JPEG.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow