Started Sep 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,048Gear list
Like?
G3 ISO3200 in real life
Sep 28, 2011

Pictures of olive oil bottles and crayons are all very well, but how does the G3 perform at ISO3200 in a real-life shooting situation? For me, one such situation involves taking photos at rehearsals of community theater shows that I'm in. These are for the cast and friends, and are also used in promoting the show. This time the show is It's a Wonderful Life--a Radio Play, in which I play Clarence, the guardian angel. See http://alexandersingers.com/

The lighting in our rehearsal venue is problematic for photography: generally too dim, but with spotlights creating sharp contrasts. I did not want to use flash for fear of disturbing my fellow actors. I first tried ISO1600 on the G3/14-45, but I was getting too much blurring, so I upped the ISO to 3200. This made all the difference, increasing my keeper rate considerably.

The photo below is an example of how ISO3200 helped. Shot at 40mm, wide open f/5.6, the shutter speed was 1/30, and that was just fast enough to minimize blurring from camera and/or subject movement. At ISO1600, the shutter speed would have been 1/15, which is probably too slow. I have a 20mm f/1.7, and that would have helped as far as lens speed goes, but the focal length would have been too wide for this shot. (As it is, I did a bit of cropping.)

I shot RAW, post-processing in ACR/PS5.1, with some judicious NR in ACR and mild sharpening with FocalBlade.

Bob

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow