why is my iPhone more versatile then a 5Dmk2 (time to open up canon)

Started Sep 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
magoo_on_safari
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
why is my iPhone more versatile then a 5Dmk2 (time to open up canon)
Sep 28, 2011

hi all,

i think it's time we put some pressure on Canon to get with the times and open their code up to developers. My iPhone can do time lapse, be a plastic camera, do HDR natively, be an 8mm camera of old. My 5D requires lots of time to achieve some of these and others are just a pain in the butt. I've seen there is a add on for P&S cameras that gives more versatility (frowned on my Canon) and one to make the 5D a more professional video camera (again voids warranty).

Canon let developers do what you think is not important because we, you users, need more then you are offering now! for example why does the mirror have to go up and down for a HDR? why does the focus square not stay on when the lens is focused? (for that matter why are the focus points in compositionally amateurish places, i.e. a cross in the centre? (i for one hope that face recognition and perfect focus for more faces is part of your programming for 5Dmk3 if it is not please let someone do it!) There are hundreds of ways that your cameras can become greater with more creative thinking from your users, way past the resources you have.

We love your product but think you are holding it back by not opening up the code. Even Apple (who gets told they are not 'open') allows developers more scope with their products, you, canon, offer none.

Fix please ASAP

garrie...
--
magoo on safari

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow