Started Sep 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
J A K
Forum ProPosts: 15,833
Like?
Two very "different" panos.
Sep 27, 2011

I visited Out of Africa in Cottonwood, AZ (located about 15 miles south of Sedona) and was literally stuck with only a 400 f/5.6 which was a bit too long. Backing away from the subjects was not an option ... to get these two shots I had to lean way forward and sort of up and over a fence and needless to say camera shake while standing on my toes (from the standpoint of composition) was an issue.

Note, if only the 400 f/5.6 had IS capability then I would have had a decent chance of actually composing both shots. But hey, you know what ... if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts then we would all have a wonderful XMAS!

Anyway, the issue with both shots was a common one ... missed the ears on one shot and the chin on another. Looking at the missed shots at home was frustrating and just before I was going to click on "Delete" I thought ... hey, wonder what will happen if ............................

Well, hooray for PTGui and thank goodness for very little wind as the whiskers stayed in place from on shot to another. By the way, don't pay attention to the focal length listed in the EXIF (PTGui came up with a nonsense number as part of the stitching process).

So what did I learn from this experience? I learned the 100-400 (which was used during the next two days) is a much more powerful solution than carrying around a 70-200/50D in a shoulder bag and 400/50D in my hand.

BTW, for those interested both subjects are Bengal Tigers.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian

Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/jkurkjia

-- hide signature --

SEARCHING FOR A BETTER SELF PORTRAIT

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow