Beginner need suggestions PS5 and LR3

Started Sep 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginner need suggestions PS5 and LR3
In reply to harleydavidson, Sep 27, 2011

harleydavidson wrote:

I have Adobe Photoshop 5 (64 bit) and Lightroom 3 version 3.4.1 installed on my computer...

Congratulations - they work well together.

...but I never really used them.

You must be rich to leave unused expensive software like that! They're both very powerful programs, but there's quite a steep learning curve, especially with Photoshop. Photoshop is an old program (21 years) and has never really had a complete redesign, so things get added and it's not totally logical. Don't expect to use all of Photoshop's features, as there are many ways of doing pretty much anything, often some of them now replaced by better ways (but the old ways left in for compatibility, and because people grumble if they take anything out!)

Lightroom has a newer and much cleaner interface, and as Sailor Blue says it's at its most powerful when processing raw images.

I am looking for suggestions about the best way to learn each program. I'm not even sure what the differences are to be honest (between them.)

They are quite different. People come out with generalisations ("Photoshop is A, Lightroom is B") but in reality, I think one has to read a bit about each and play with them to get a good feel for why they each work the way they do.

Is there a decent book to own (like one of those "dummies" books perhaps) or is there an inexpensive course to take on the web? Im open to all ideas as I paid good noney for these about a year ago, just never really tried to use them for much. Thanks!

All the ones Sailor Blue suggests, and I also like "Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers" by Martin Evening.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow