Started Sep 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thomas KP Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Major Problem of A77 - small memory buffer
Sep 27, 2011

I used A55 for over one year, and just got the A77 for four days. So far, tested a lot of settings and shoot for various situations on A77.

My biggest concern on A77 is small memory buffer. For a camera claimed to be highest frame rate per sec (12 frame/sec at a AUTO mode, or 8 frame/sec for standard mode) user will expect to use it for shooting actions sports or birds, now that the buffer is so small (in the manual it claims to have 13 frames at FINE Mode, and 18 frames at STANDARD Mode), I tested by tracing cars movement, and found at the 24M/frame mode, I can only get 8 - 10 frames before it halts for some 2 - 3 sec, or at 6M/frame mode, there is only 2 to 3 frames more before it stops. This is not going to allow A77 to be used as a camera for action shootings. It is some less than 1 seconds press of the shutter for every 3 to 4 seconds cycles. It is worse than A55. I had used A55 to shoot birds for many times, and I felt I can press the shutter for over 2 sec before it halted, and the resume speed was faster than A77.

This is going to let A77 not able to compete with Canon 7D. 7D has a max frame of 84 frames (16M/frame, jpg), somewhat like press shutter for 10 sec, so you'll never feel that there is a halt when shooting actions with 7D. So compare with 7D, the only advantage of A77 is the articulated LCD for easy framing at low/high angles.

Thomas KP Lee's gear list:Thomas KP Lee's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Sony SLT-A99 Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow