Started Sep 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sabatia
Regular MemberPosts: 437
Like?
Panie X Lenses: Three Advantages = Grand Slam
Sep 26, 2011

All of my DSLR camera gear will be sold by Thurs. Two bodies, four L lenses, several top-end EF-S lenses, etc. I am going m4/3s! Why: Number 1, Number 2, Number 3: Weight.

I have been shooting for more than forty years, had hundreds of pics published, and loved my Canon system and particularly the L lenses. But it has become a chore to lug everything around for street and travel, and particularly when I'm backpacking, which is one of the loves of my life. I need to lighten the load. I've tried a high-end compact p&s--Canon S90--but the image quality just doesn't work for my needs--large prints, cropping, and publication. And so I am pulling the trigger on the new compact system, mirrorless cameras, that seem to have both lighter bodies, lighter lenses, and high--if not quite yet DSLR quality--image quality.

I am going with a G3 because it is the lightest camera with an EVF, on camera flash, and high resolution sensor and with Panasonic specifically because of the new x lenses, which are the lightest zooms. So light camera and light lenses = lightest system, again, with a high resolution sensor. Quite honestly, as a light backpacker I am an ounce counter, and counting the ounces this is it.

The new x lenses claim three advantages: smaller, better image quality and lighter. If their only advantage was weight--and their image quality was the same as the current crop of zooms: I would still buy them. Lightening up is why I'm going m4/3s. Yes, it's a plus that these lenses are smaller. And maybe an even bigger plus if these lenses produce better image quality. We know they are lighter than any of the internal or external competition. We know they are smaller than any of the existing internal or external competition. So if the image quality is even comparable, its already a home run. If these lenses hit the trifecta by having better image quality too--ie. resolution and color contrast--then Panie has hit a grand slam.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow