ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shademaster
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
slow autofocus
Sep 26, 2011

Hi all.

For what it's worth, I want to report my side-by-side comparison shooting in identical scenario with my nx100 and my friend's A55. Trying to snap my 10 month old on the swing, swinging with pretty high velocity.

As per some of my previous comments, the nx100 with CAF is just plain too slow. I'm not sure if the focus won't actually keep up or if there is just some kind of delay. The lag can be almost 0.5 seconds sometimes. The kid is usually out of the frame by then! To get anything useful, I need to close down the aperture and leave manual focus parked at the point where I want to snap him. This was with the kit zoom, but I have similar issues with the f/2 pancake.

The A55 was really impressive and the CAF was tracking him throughout the swinging cycle. I have a tiny twinge of buyer's remorse. Do other people see limitations with NX10/NX100 in these kinds of scenarios?

Just my $0.02 for anyone making the mirrorless vs DSLR/SLT decision. Don't know if it's a mirrorless/contrastAF issue per se or just lag in the NX AF routines. I foresee myself in these kinds of situations all the time: this year swinging at the park... a few years from now at soccer. Maybe the new Nikon mirrorless lives up to the claim of fast AF / fast readout; after all, it looks like it's really built for soccer moms... Maybe the NX bodies will have phase-detect AF on the sensor by the time my kid can play soccer

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow