Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?

Started Sep 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Confused of Malvern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?
Re: Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?
In reply to VueFinder, Sep 25, 2011

I always take my dSLR but the key thing is to be unobtrusive - that's about more than just not getting in the pro photographer's way (which is a given), it's also about not irritating other guests or the happy couple. I don't mean you should be sneaky, far from it, just make sure that what you're doing doesn't detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the day.

Personally, I would never take pictures during the ceremony (I'm not particularly keen when the pro photographer does it either - but that seems to be the modern way) because that can't help but be obtrusive. You're principally there as a guest and you should be concentrating on the service, not your photos, at this stage.

When it comes to group shots outside afterwards, I'm not against snatching a shot in the few seconds between the Pro posing the group and him returning to his shooting position as long as I'm well out of his way - by definition, my picture is going to be different to his because it will be taken from a different angle and you can often capture the informal moments between shots that way. Also, look for other informal shots of the other guests which the Pro won't capture

Sometimes you have more opportunity for capturing photos than others depending upon home the event is organised and managed. If the opportunities don't present themselves - just relax and enjoy the wedding. As some one else has said, it's often a good idea to go and put the camera away in your room or in the car before the evening entertainment starts or it will just get in your way.

If I've managed to get any decent shots that are worth sharing then I usually put them into a slide show on a disc and give it to the Couple afterwards.

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow