Started Sep 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
panasonicpentax
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Looking for a K mount lens specifically for video
Sep 25, 2011

I've had my K5 long enough now that I can see a gap in the video capabilites of the lenses I have. When the 18-135 was released at the same time as the K5, I thought that Pentax may have considered its use for video. But it doesn't do what I want. I want to use an HDSLR for video shots that involve changing focus or zoom during the shot.

Specifically, I am looking for a reasonably-wide zoom lens that doesn't change focal length when focusing and doesn't change focus when zooming. Can the collective wisdom of the forum identify such a lens? By "reasonably wide" I am looking for 18mm on the wide end but I would consider 28mm. Manual focus lenses are okay, since my purpose for this lens is to focus manually. I would rule out rare or special-order lenses on adaptors.

All the zoom lenses I have change their focal length significantly when focusing. When creating a nice fade-to-out-of-focus shot, the first movement that is aparrent before it actually loses focus is a zoom. This spoils the look I am after. Yes, my prime lenses can do this trick but what the prime lenses cannot do is a zoom-in shot. The 18-135 changes focus so much during a zoom that it's detracting from the finished look, not to mention difficult to set up the pre-focus.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow