RAW shooters - do you backup the original OOC files ?

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
Polyglot92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
Re: RAW shooters - do you backup the original OOC files ?
In reply to sic0048, Sep 24, 2011

sic0048 wrote:

I'm not sure about the software you are using, but a lot of software out there does not modify the original file. For example I use Adobe Lightroom for about 90% of my edits and it does not modify the original file at all. Instead it creates a sidecar file that has all the changes I have made which the program reads and displays. I would think that most decent software would do the same thing.

This is one big reason to shoot in RAW. You can always go back to the original file and start over if you need to. I believe with JPGs the actual file is modified so it is destructive to the original file when you make changes.

One would think so but both programs designed for NEF files, ViewNX and CaptureNX, touch the files, decompressing them and writing to them, unlike the other programs which use sidecar files

It's always a good idea to have at least one original unretouched NEF file as backup, unless you don't care about the shot or not that much, in which case a Jpeg may be all you need.

-- hide signature --

D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G - Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR - Canon PowerShot S3

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow