Nikon 1 - Why I think it should have been Micro Four Thirds...

Started Sep 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
futurewah
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Nikon 1 - Why I think it should have been Micro Four Thirds...
Sep 23, 2011

Hi all.

First, let me say this thread isn't about bashing the new Nikon system, but rather to suggest with a reasoned argument why joining the m4/3's system may have been a better business descision.

Nikon, like most traditional SLR manufacturers has a proprietary lens mount. Indeed, the F mount can trace it's roots back many decades. When the F mount was invented Nikon had little choice but to make their own system. More recently, manufacturers have used proprietary systems to keep the purchaser 'in the family'. A company may be forgiven for thinking this way they sell the bodies and lenses - win, win. After all, the Micro Four Thirds standard gives the user the opportunity to mix & match body and lens. But it also gives the company the opportunity to cross sell. Nikon is renowned for their lenses. Isn't that why we love Nikon? How many Panasonic or Olympus users would like to add good Nikon glass to their arsenal of lenses? Furthermore, if the new technologies used in the 1 system (the super-fast hybrid AF built into the sensor, the EXPEED 3 processor) were applied to a Nikon m4/3 camera... well, lets just say I think they'd have a lot of existing Panasonic and Olympus users thinking hard when they upgrade...

I'm sure Nikon will make money from this... and perhaps further down the line CX may be taken more seriously... but I think from a business point of view it would have made more sense to join the Micro Four Thirds group. A better IQ camera that attracted both the point & shoot upgraders AND the enthusiasts looking for a pocketable holiday and walk around camera.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't propaganda for the Micro Four Thirds lobby. I don't like the m4/3 system either. I would have prefered Nikon to adopt the Sony E mount... now that would really make for a battle of the formats... plus I like the 'symmetry' of E and F mount

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow