Would you use an E-P3 or E-PL3 for a paying job?

Started Sep 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SpinOne
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Would you use an E-P3 or E-PL3 for a paying job?
Sep 22, 2011

I have a small photo job coming up -- nothing too special, just a small paying gig in a studio setting. The final output is likely going to be web, screen and small prints.

I haven't done much for actual pay since (gasp!) the film days of yore, and currently own an Oly E-P1. It works well but I could do with an upgrade, and use the E-P1 as backup.

I'm not that interested in DSLR's for a few reasons -- I don't like the aspect ratio, the viewfinders are too small, and I don't like heavy cameras. In theory an Olympus DSLR might work, but it really seems like I'd be investing in a fading system. I do not expect a lot of paying work moving forward, either.

At the same time, I'm a tad concerned about quality when charging clients, and am also concerned about lens options. The "mark ii" kit zoom is apparently much better than the 1st gen, but might not be good enough for a paying job. I'm not sure what lenses are really up for pro work, other than the 18mm, 45mm and a couple of spendy Panasonic lenses. There's also, unfortunately, the question of just "looking pro," but I think I could pull that off.

So, any thoughts? Should I just rent a Canon DSLR, or plunge into the Brave New World and use a newer M4/3 for the gig?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow