Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,322Gear list
Like?
Epic failure I think
In reply to jerrycambuk, Sep 22, 2011

I own a D7000 and some good glass, and I think the J1 / V1 is going to prove a failure:

• sensor is tiny so no DOF play and limited IQ. simpler to use an iPhone or a compact camera for most uses, the available samples so far show this clearly. Compacts will offer more compositional flexibility thanks to their zoom

• if one wants better IQ and is OK with more complexity (interchangeable lenses) then m43 or APS-C mirrorless offer that better IQ.

• lenses on the Nikons are ridiculously big for such a tiny sensor and slow lenses. What was Nikon thinking?

• none of these cameras has decent manual controls, why?

• whatever the actual AF performance (vs the claims) it's pretty clear that w Panasonic achieving AF times of 0.1-0.2s well it's difficult or potentially impossible to go faster. I suspect nikon used both PDAF and CDAF simply because their CDAF engine is very poor (as anyone who has compared a Nikon compact AF performance to a Panasonic compact AF performance, can witness - or as anyone who has tried a Nikon DSLR in CDAF mode can witness)

So as far as I'm concerned:

• these J1 and V1 cameras are not for normal shooters: these are much better served by compact cameras which offer comparable DOF control, in a smaller package. Or they can use their iPhone, which is even smaller and always with you

• they are not for more enthusiast shooters: these are better served by m43 or APS-C mirrorless, which offer bodies of comparable size or even a bit smaller, AF performance at least as good, ditto for video, AND lenses that are largely smaller despite covering a bigger sensor. Oh, and they offer real manual controls

• they are not for enthusiast shooters

So my bet is this will be a failure. Unless Nikon come up with decent (fast) glass, more compact glass, and a higher-end model with manual controls, and flash.

My bet is this is a failure, but I'm of course not wishing Nikon to fail.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WINNew
WIN!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow