Open letter to dpreview or why I wouldn't participate in challenges any more

Started Sep 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Douglas69
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Open letter to dpreview - a suggestion of an answer
In reply to fermy, Sep 22, 2011

I can tell you why this technically correct photo of yours polled so badly. First I'll explain that I've been a portrait photographer for almost 50 year. Even today at my age, I'm still shooting about 10 wedding a year.

Although I've never won a competition or any awards - I've never entered a comp or sought an award- I've got a substantial recommendation business. I haven't needed to advertise for over 10 years. The phone just rings and the greeting always goes like... "Hi, such and such said I should call you"...

OK so the reason -- well my opinion of the reason at least is: CONFRONTATION.

I've shot a number of portraits just like this one in mono and colour. I think the first one was my mother after she gave me a new camera for my 16th Birthday.

All but one has produced the same re-action in viewers. They were confronted by the direct 'in-your-face' nature of such an unsmiling images. Very few females will ever look you straight in the face with a "so-what" look. When they do it in a portrait it assaults the senses of most males and this site is predominately male visitors.

Cheers...
DJ.

Douglas69's gear list:Douglas69's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow