Started Sep 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
filmrescue
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
NEX-5N Jpeg vs RAW
Sep 22, 2011

In the past I've shot almost exclusively in RAW but now with my new NEX-5N I'm rethinking that approach. It seems like when I'm shooting at high ISO that I can get a cleaner more desirable image letting the camera do what it does in terms of noise reduction set on it's lower level than I'm able to do in post editing using Neat Image noise reduction software. A first for any camera that I've ever owned. So now I'm trying to decide if the advantages of RAW are out weighed by the advantages of shooting jpeg...especially in low light.

Also...this camera has a lot of very useful features that aren't available in raw and it gets frustrating when you are set to RAW that so many of those features aren't available. I do wish they had allowed the camera to shoot in these modes when set to raw with an on screen alert the picture wouldn't be recorded in RAW instead of making the camera simply not function.

I don't like that I won't have an infinitely editable raw file and the option of pulling more highlight detail but if the Jpegs are ultimately looking better, than I'm looking for arguments for "why not".

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow