Started Sep 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Don't See the Audience for V1 or J1
Sep 22, 2011

Obviously Nikon has done its research and thinks there is a market for these cameras. But I think there is a disconnect. The Nikon 1 system may have success, but not with these two dumbed down cameras.

Clearly the V1 and J1 are not aimed at the current DSLR owner looking for a smaller system camera. So it is aimed at casual compact user looking for better quality picture. But I don't see this group of users being particularly interested in "interchangeable" lenses. If you are not interested in A/S/P selection, shutter speed/F stop, you're probably not too excited at the thought of changing lenses either. Also, these users are not likely to buy lenses beyond the kit lens....so how does that benefit Nikon financially?

The high quality compacts already do pretty well in the picture quality area. So the new 2.7X sensor size will probably be good enough for the enthusiast looking for the a good smaller DSLR micro camera. I think in this area, Nikon's decision is fine as the cameras will be quite compact.

The system may be successful with an additional camera body aimed at the amateur enthusiast. But clearly more manual controls and menu selections must be on offer. I think only the enthusiast and pro audience will create a demand for the additional lenses which Nikon needs for the system to be successful. If they don't provide a more enthusiast oriented camera body, then the Nikon 1 system will be just two compact camera replacements with an assortment of additional lenses and system accessories that no one buys.

Then again, Nikon's research may show that I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. We'll see.

Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow