Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sabatia
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?
m4/3 needs Wildlife & Sport Lenses
Sep 21, 2011

While zooms are nice and short to mid focal length primes are great, what Panasonic and Olympus m4/3s really need to do to become complete systems is come out with some long single focal length lenses. I shoot a lot of wildlife quasi professionally. My primary tool is the Canon 300 f4 L IS, sometimes with the 1.4 tele-extender. I've also had the old 500 f4.5 pre-IS. I know sport shooters are in a similar state. Zooms are too slow and have too many image quality issues. Anyone who has ever used a long prime, particularly L glass, knows how much richer the colors, contrast, and resolution are with a prime.

What's needed and I would think reasonably easy to accomplish are 200 f2.8 or f4(400 equivalent) and a 300 (600 equivalent). Yes, you can attach legacy lenses, but they won't have functional IS, at least on Pana, and also they weigh a lot, defeating the whole purpose of m4/3s. You would think that long m4/3s lenses would be substantially lighter and smaller.

Until Pana and Olympus develop such lenses, many pros and semi-pros and just wildlife lovers will not embrace m4/3s.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow