Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,725
Like?
The strong points after handling one
In reply to jerrycambuk, Sep 21, 2011

jerrycambuk wrote:

I'm starting this thread simply as I was getting annoyed reading some of the garbage written on here, and other forums, by gear heads moaning about the J1/V1 launch as if it is worse than the ending of time. So, I am asking the question many have already commented on in other posts, has Nikon scored an EPIC WIN, or an EPIC FAIL with the J1/V1 launch today?

My twopenneth:

As a D700 user with a bag of F mount lenses, and with a wife and small son as well, the LIFESTYLE choice (knocked by so many) of the V1 is for me, very interesting.

It will not replace my D700 (never never never) BUT........ My wife, who is not a photohead but loves taking photos, and loves the quality we get from the D700 and the F mounts, will probably love a V1, and the adaptor to use our 16/35 or 50 f1.4. We may well buy a V1 with (horrors!!) a kit lens, and I'm sure my non techno wife will love it, as will my son, for whom this type of camera will be simple to use and will give him great results which at the age of 2 1/2 he would never be able to get from Daddy's DSLR.

Furthermore, the claimed focussing speed and shooting time lag could make this supposedly worthless compact into the only camera apart from a fully blown DSLR which is actually fast enough for kid and sports photography, but in a small package. And that is a huge positive.

Finally, back to LIFESTYLE - the thought of HD video in a small cam like this makes me think that now is the time to say bye bye to the Canon Legria (no HD) the couple of old Powershots, and the Canon D10, to be replaced by one compact camera which looks to have excellent compatability with my 'big-boy' system.

So, EPIC WIN Nikon, well done.

(This regards the V1-model)

Built in EVF, yet retaining "rangefinder" feel in design. THis is a big one. The only alternatives are the Panasonics with their "mini-DSLR"-like design or the Sony NEX7 which will be a larger bulkier system when you count in the lenses. And more expensive. The EVF of the V1 looked pretty good at first impression.

Lots of processing power (double CPUs, working independently) for responsiveness and functions like ability to shot high res stills during filming.

Hybrid PD/CD AF - that works simultanously - the one which find AF first is used.
PDAF works also for movies.
Manual movie controls, connection for external microphone.

Metal shell on the body, good build quality. All lenses shown had metal mounts.
Adapter with working AF and electronics for Nikon AF-C lenses.

The tele zoom was very compact. The swiveling and bouncing optional flash was also very small.

The super zoom with electronic zoom seems excellent for video. Optional grips are coming.

Some cons:
Wish for more manual control wheels. Price maybe.
--
http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WINNew
WIN!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow