Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 12,824
Like?
Re: Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1
In reply to jerrycambuk, Sep 21, 2011

jerrycambuk wrote:

It will not replace my D700 (never never never) BUT........ My wife, who is not a photohead but loves taking photos, and loves the quality we get from the D700 and the F mounts, will probably love a V1, and the adaptor to use our 16/35 or 50 f1.4.

So you'd buy a $900 camera plus adapter, put a big zoom on it as a "lifestyle" choice, and end up with a 43-94/11 equivalent ?

We may well buy a V1 with (horrors!!) a kit lens,

Nothing wrong with that ! With a 2.7x crop, it's an awfully slow lens, though. But the camera promises to be responsive with cool video & high fps sequencing features.

The big question is ... looking at it as a "lifestyle" camera rather than an enthusiasts compact ... will it sell over other fixed lens cameras and other mirrorless choices ?

I suspect it will sell some ... for the compactness and the unique features, and will be neither a slam dunk nor a failure.

Furthermore, the claimed focussing speed and shooting time lag could make this supposedly worthless compact into the only camera apart from a fully blown DSLR which is actually fast enough for kid and sports photography, but in a small package. And that is a huge positive.

Yes, I think Nikon needs to push that message. But it has to deliver. If you can't bump the ISO very high, at f/5.6, results might not be that great even if the AF can deliver.

Finally, back to LIFESTYLE - the thought of HD video in a small cam like this makes me think that now is the time to say bye bye to the Canon Legria (no HD) the couple of old Powershots, and the Canon D10, to be replaced by one compact camera which looks to have excellent compatability with my 'big-boy' system.

It's nice to have a camera like this, but there are other choices. They're not so compatible with Nikon DSLR lenses, but I question the advantage of compatibility with a 2.7X crop.

Personally, I'd be interested in a smaller alternative to NEX, but the smaller sensor has to be offset with faster lenses.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WINNew
WIN!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow