Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
Re: Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1
In reply to jerrycambuk, Sep 21, 2011

I really had high hopes for the Nikon 1 system based on the smaller sensor making a significantly smaller system possible. But from what I have seen so far it is not noticeably smaller than m43 and with m43 I would get a larger sensor and not have to wait for the lenses I want to become available. I hope someone doing a preview has a picture of a Panasonic GF-3 with the X14-42 sitting next to the J1 with the 10-30. While the 10-30 looks smaller than the Olympus 14-42 the new Panasonic X 14-42 looks to be even slimmer.

I had my credit card out hoping to preorder one of the Nikons this morning. After looking at the announcement I put the card away and am going to rethink my options. The larger than anticipated size and lack of manual controls is disappointing. The electronic shutter and fast autofocus are nice though.

While I may not be buying one of these a lot of people that want to take better pictures without knowing anything about photography except how to press the shutter button will. There are a lot of people in that market and these cameras will probably work very well for them. These cameras are clearly aimed at that market. The press release and Nikon website make the lack of control sound like a feature instead of the defect I consider it to be.

So my prediction is epic win for Nikon but a fail for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WINNew
WIN!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow