Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harry cannoli
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,293Gear list
Like?
The official RAW Converter *Shootout* thread
Sep 21, 2011

I started a thread the other day stating my preference for Raw Therapee as my preferred converter..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=39394868

It was suggested that I put up the RAW file I worked on so others can have a go at it. I was a bit reluctant to share a RAW file of a good friend. Peter thought using the classic IR .CR2 file was a good idea. Everyone should be familiar with this..

The challenge is to get as much out of the RAW file as you can, using your tools of choice. The RAW file was shot at ISO 100, which is good in a way. The playing field is a bit flattened. We're looking to see who can do whatever using whatever, what we don't want is a competition of what's better, Noise Ninja or Denoise..

I send over a .TIFF from my raw converter to PS. In PS I do levels, curves and sharpening and whatever tweaks are required. That's about it, and that's how I will approach this. It's the workflow I'm familiar with and I think it's fair. If the detail is not sent to PS from RAW conversion, I can sharpen to my heart's content. The detail simply won't be there.

So go ahead and download the .CR2 from IR and give it a go. Please let us know what RAW converter you used:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/E60DhSLI00100_NR_OFF.CR2.HTM

If you have the means to post up a full size jpg, then great. If not, in the image above I have circled areas of detail and texture. You can post full size crops of those areas, or any area you choose to.

This is not intended to be a competition, there won't be a winner. Hopefully, this will serve as an initiator of discussion about the tools we use, and how we use them.

Cheers
Rich

-- hide signature --

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Olympus C-700 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 350D +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow