Voting in uniquely specified challenges

Started Sep 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
barb_s
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not just spell it out?
In reply to vqueen, Sep 20, 2011

vqueen wrote:

Hi, I host one of such challenge series. In the first challenge, I had asked from participants a brief explanation to be written in the description area where they were expected to explain how they think their entry was related to the book. Not writing it was a reason for disqualification. And then, a series of forum discussions started over "the photography should speak for itself and should not need to be supported with words". And as majority of the entries were without that obligatory explanation, I had to disqualify many beautiful pictures, there was almost no pleasure left.... Ever since, I don't include that condition and to be honest, there are very few entries which really relate to the theme of the book. I don't think adding a brief summary of the book will help either as the general tendency is to post entries that corresponds to the "words" in the book title. Therefore, I started to choose as theme books with straightforward titles. But of course, I have to confess it was not exactly how I meant these challenges to be, to me they could have been a great combination of literature and photography but hélas

I don't know where my reply was, but I thought I wrote about the current "The Pearl" challenge. I think it is a well known book and that's why entries are interesting, because people knew the story, and did more than work from the title, whereas The Bluest Eye is less known, and I think that caused the majority of entries to be of blue eyes , nothing at all like the dark story it tells.
--
Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow