Started Sep 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
Open letter to dpreview or why I wouldn't participate in challenges any more
Sep 20, 2011

I always knew that challenge system has problems, but the latest challenge I've participated in showed me just how broken the system is.

Here's the link to the challenge http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=5254 and here's my entry http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=505651&View=Results&Rows=4 . As you can see 3 voters out of 20 decided that it's worth 1 star. I am experienced enough to know that this is not a poor photograph, so this can not be artistically or technically motivated. This was "anything goes" challenge, so interpretation of the challenge topic is also not an issue. Finally, the picture is not provocative or controversial in any way and could not prompt such reaction due to cultural conflict. In other words what we see here is 3 clear spite votes.

Now I look at the 4 first place finishers, and they also have a number of similar unmotivated spite votes. This is circus, an ugly circus, and dpreview does nothing to fix that. I know the life is not fair, but I refuse to participate in the system that encourages contestants to vote down their competitors. The challenges are supposed to be fun and help you to get an honest feedback on your photography. Currently dpreview challenges serve neither or these goals.

I see there is a number of similar threads down the list. I encourage anyone reading this and agreeing with me to boycott dpreview challenges until a better voting system is put in place.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow