Started Sep 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Liberty555
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Canon 17-55... je ne se qua
Sep 19, 2011

Ok, so I've been a very strong adovate for Canon's 17-55 f2.8 IS on this and other forums (fora?) but my shooting experience over the weekend has left a slightly sour taste.

The photographs I have taken using this lens are always pleasing to me. The colour, sharpness, contrast - all first rate. I love the lens and its on my camera 50% of the time. Its far and away the best crop camera standard zoom out there, in my opinion.

But… and there is always a but… the remainder of the time, my camera has the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II or the 24-105 f4L IS, with a smatering of primes in the mix. THEY JUST FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!

Why oh why didn't Canon spend an extra 10% on the lens and give it that certain "je ne se qua?". Actually, its not a characterisitic you can't put your finger on, its build quality, front and centre! It doesn't feel like an expensive lens. The 70-200 feels like a precision instrument (and it is) the 24-105 feel like you could hammer nails in with it, or drop it through someones roof (as happened in the news recently) but the 17-55 feels like if you move too quickly, the end will come off! Ok, its not that bad, but it’s a relative feeling. Going from Ferrari to Fiat... Same factory, different price points... (but theprice isn't that different!)

A friend has the 15-85 which feels to me much more like the 10-22 - smooth, refined, precise. Why didn't these qualities come over to the 17-55? Its clunky, imprecise, generous in it tolerances...

I know these feelings melt away when I see the photos, and that’s what its about at the end of the day… but it doesn't stop me wishing Canon spent a few more $ in to the build.

Who knows - maybe there is a 17-55 f2.8 IS II in the wings… I doubt it though, the 17-55 was always a bit of a strange one…

Until then, it'll be on my camera… and playing on my mind.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow