ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mynakedsoda
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
Olympus PEN E-PL1 vs Nex3 Question
Sep 19, 2011

1. I already own a Sony Nex3.

2. I've been researching the Olympus PEN E-PL1 as a camera for my son. Looking at reviews I feel it is a better choice for him than a Nex. He is anti processing and the jpeg output options are better IMO.

3. The overall performance (especially high ISO) of the Olympus PEN E-PL1 seems more than good enough from samples I've found.

4. Now my only question. To start with I plan on getting him an Olympus zoom. He's never used a manual focus lens so AF is a must have. I'm hoping later on he will want to use some of the legacy lenses I have though and I'm wondering how any users find the magnified view vs. the Nex3. Specifically I like the magnified live view on the Nex3 but at 7x I find it too hard to use handheld with anything past a 50mm lens. I can use it with lenses up to 135mm but even my 85mm's I have to steady myself somehow or it's too jumpy for me handheld. Keep in mind I find the focus peaking of the Nex3 inaccurate compared to magnified live view.

Any responses will be welcomed. Thanks in advance. I figure a bonus of getting him an Olympus is that I can play with it also and if I like it enough I'll simply buy another one for myself.
--
The worst vice is advice. - John Milton from The Devil's Advocate

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow