Started Sep 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianimal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
NEX-5N no focus lock (AFL)?
Sep 18, 2011

I see that NEX-5N has AEL (exposure lock), you can program either "right key" or "soft key B" to this. See NEX-5N handbook page 134 for this.

But there ain't no AFL (auto focus lock) option?

I use AFL all the time with my Sony A700 today. I shoot most often landscape or other stuff where I have good time. So I just use auto focus once in the beginning and check it is ok. Later with the same scene I just takes more shoots but keep the focus locked, I don't need or want the camera to autofocus for every image.

Or you lock focus at something and re-compose the view and shoot. So you
don't want the camera to re-focus when you shoot.

OK, I know about manual focus. But is it so easy to manual focus now that AFL is not needed? With the manual focus zoom help and focus peaking there is no need for AFL anymore?

Would be nice to be able to program "right key" or "soft key B" to AFL also. And so seperate auto focus trigger from shutter trigger. Just the way I use my A700 today. I see the NEX-7 has the AF/MF button A700 also got. So maybe you can program this button as with the A700. But I don't need 24MP and a NEX-5N would be enough for me. But AFL would be a nice addition maybe.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow