Multnomah Falls with K-5 and 77mm LTD

Started Sep 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606Gear list
Like?
Re: Multnomah Falls with K-5 and 77mm LTD
In reply to Plakanina, Sep 18, 2011

Plakanina wrote:

this looks rather good. you are one of the few that seems to know what exposure means in retaining the original atmosphere of the scene. to many have a fixation of lifting the shadows all the time, it's quite a trend. I have mentioned this before somewhere that it was a normality with Nat Geo photographers to under expose Kodachrome about 1/3 of a stop to retain shadows for rich chromes. again looks great with what looks like a lot of detail in the ferns. have you printed it yet? I'm curious because I am not finding a lot of detail coming from my FA31mm and K5 at 80 iso.
cheers

Not only to retain the shadows for the rich chromes, but another pro photographer I knew back when I was first really getting going with film taught me that by underexposing by up to 1 stop when in full sunlight, many times bright colors would "pop" more -- especially the reds. I don't find the need as much these days, with the more accurate meters on digital cameras, but I will still often at least do a bracketing exposure when I can on shots like that, just so I can cover all my bases on exposures. I did a couple HDR shots at a big waterfall in NC back in July, not long after I got my K5, as well. I just need to sort through them all, decide which are best, post some to Photobucket and put a few on here.

The OPs waterfall shot is wondrous. I had a bit of late-afternoon sun filtering through the trees on mine, so that gave me a bit of "sparkle" to work with, as well. Looks like his was on a typical cloudy Oregon day, but he still made it "pop" by shooting a bit on the "dark" side.
Jeff
--
May the Blessings Be.

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow