Started Sep 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kaizr
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
All-round compact for a technophobe?
Sep 17, 2011

I have decided to purchase a compact camera for my parents as their Xmas present as the image quality on their ageing Kodak Z710 is shockingly bad.

My parents are retired and real technophobes, they can barely work their Panasonic Bluray player and HD camcorder. In addition, my dad operates anything electrical with heavy hands/sausage fingers.

I was initially thinking of getting either an Ixus 220 HS or waiting for the new 230 HS, as the photos online suggest that these are pretty basic to use and the reviews for the 220 are pretty good on the whole. But would this be too small and are they plasticky? I have not held an Ixus since my old 900TI (which at the time had superior build to any other IXUS models).

Then I thought maybe buy a Panny FS35 for the build quality and image quality, but the controls don't seem as basic as the Ixus range.

Other models I have considered are the Nikon S3100 and Sony H70, but I don't really know much about these models (and the Nikon didn't seem to offer much, at least on paper).

Ease of use and image quality is paramount, followed by build quality, low light capability and battery life. Full HD video is not really important, as they have a dedicated camcorder.

A direct video record button would be useful though (but not essential), just for those moments when they don't have their camcorder to hand.

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be a Panny or Canon, I just assumed these would be best.

My budget is £150-£200 (at a push).

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow