Which focus points to use for wedding

Started Sep 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
Alekhine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Which focus points to use for wedding
In reply to Lester_B, Sep 17, 2011

Lester,

If you want to freeze the couple while walking towards and away the camera I strongly suggest you to use AI servo all the time, for pose photography you can always switch to one shot mode.

I only do wedding reportage and use a 1DmkIV and a 1Ds mkIII and with both cameras I always use the focus joystick on the fly and AI servo.

Also, an f4 lens is not recommended for weddings, esepecially when you are indoor.

I only once used a 5D mkII and I felt awkward as it's too slow compared to a mkIV. Of course it is a great camera but I don't think it's for reportage use.

When shooting moving subjects at wedding don't go under 1/160 or 1/125, this is not a rule, you can use slower shutter speed for creativeness.

Lester_B wrote:

I'm shooting with a 5D mark2 with 24-105 and 70-200 IS lenses. I'm doing a wedding Sat. and wanted to get some pics of the couple walking toward and away from the camera. Just wondering on the focus. Do you guys use all the focus points on at once or just use the center spot. Also, do you go for AI Focus, AI Servo or just leave it on single shot? I just don't want to get soft images. I gues this also applies to wedding party walking down the aisle.

-- hide signature --

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

http://www.guidotramontano.com

Alekhine's gear list:Alekhine's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow