My K5 Rental - Airshow and Macro Pics

Started Sep 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
mrerics
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Airshow Day 1 - Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4
In reply to mrerics, Sep 17, 2011

Last year I realized that as an adult I love airshows every bit as much as I did when I was a kid, and I scheduled my rental to coincide with the Guardians of Freedom Airshow in Lincoln, Nebraska. One of the Pentax lenses I'd heard a lot of great things about is the DA* 60-250mm F4, and that's what I took for the first day. Some may consider 250mm too short for an airshow, but I'm used to a 50-200mm on my NX10, so this could only be better! I was very impressed with this lens. Build quality was great and it was very sharp even at the long end, when stopped down a bit. Throughout the day, I used AF.C, mostly with 5-point auto AF points. The K5 with this lens acquired focus quickly and never let go. If I happened to be tracking a plane as it passed behind a tall guy with a kid on his shoulders or something, it very quickly reacquired focus.

Sure, there were times the planes were too far away for 250mm, but I really didn't think I was losing out on much with this lens that would've been worth capturing. The only thing I didn't care for about this lens was the detachable tripod foot, which clamps onto the collar with one screw (designed to be tightened using a coin). Some may find it convenient, but as I carry the camera using a strap attached to the tripod mount on the lens, I would've been more comfortable with a more traditional one-piece unit. If I owned this lens, I'd probably use permanent Loctite on the screw.

By the way, all photos were shot RAW (DNG) and developed in Lightroom.

mrerics's gear list:mrerics's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow