Since when is purple blue?

Started Sep 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
squeamish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,265
Like?
Re: Since when is purple blue? Another example with green.
In reply to Marker, Sep 16, 2011

Marker wrote:

squeamish wrote:

Since at least the D40. I'm an LSU fan so it's particularly frustrating for me.

Wow! Yeah, my sympathies as you want your purple to look good.

Many great observations, explanations and suggestions given by the posters above. I thank you all. I don't have the time or patience to haul around and use a gray card, or color chart and preface every purple shot with a custom white balance. Even shooting in RAW I reserve for special occasions like wanting to get the most out of a critical landscape. Too much time and trouble in post processing. Yes, I guess I'm lazy, but just wanted to get a sense of how widespread this problem is.

I might have over corrected a bit in "hue", but probably not by much. Perhaps I could have been more dead on with a 20 point slide to the right rather than 25. But I've also noticed that greens are often recorded way to yellow with my gear and settings, and need a significant and similar nudge to get them right.

For those who have not read the entire thread, the problem is not limited to this particular shot and the dyes used on the bag of whey protien pictured. I find it pretty universal with outdoor naturally lit shots of purple flowers and green foliage as well.

I had to do a LOT of post processing to the shot below in order to get realistic and vibrant green. Originally the greens were rendered as rather anemic weak and yellowish. I find it characteristic of my Nikon gear (which I otherwise like very much).

Gray cards are impossible/impractical for a lot f the shooting I do, as well, so I make it a point to try and photography something as close to neutral that's in the same light so that I have a reference for white balance once I get everything into Lightroom.

Like someone else said I find PPing much easier/lazier when I shoot in RAW. I can't remember the last time I shot in-camera JPG. Probably never on my D300.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow