Started Sep 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZionGates
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
D40 Acuity Rivals D7000
Sep 16, 2011

Greetings, I know this sounds UNbelievable.

My camera history D100(lost), D2XS(sold), D40(own), D700(own), D90(own).
Before I got my D700 I was planning to get a D7000 (based on specs).

I tried it and the image quallity although good did not seem like it resolved as much detail as my previous camera. I take a lot of photos of Lizards with macro lenses (60 & 105) and with my D40 (with which I used the 18-55 a lot) I can see great detail in the reptile skin vs smudgy detail with the d7000. I know what I'm doing and I know what I'm seeing and I know what to expect from my lenses and bodies.

My sister bought a D7000 and I got to play with it yesterday and when I look at the shots the detail is NOT as sharp as the D40 or D90. This is not due to focus errors either, whatever is in focus simply looks more like a painting than a photo.

The effect is like the pixels are bleeding into each other producing a smudged look vs sharp well defined pixels.

This effect is present in RAW files and jpgs. I also noticed the same effect with the d3100 which I got to use at a 4H camp where I teach photography to youths. The captures are good and look perceptibly fine at anything less than 100% but at 100% the pixel quality of these higher res cameras is fuzzy. I think that the sensor quality is not at the level of the previous generation of cameras. And it also has a stuck pixel which none of my cameras ever had.

I'm not a Nikon basher, I own three bodies and about 10 lenses and I'm VERY satisfied with my equipment). The ergonomics and functionality are great. The D700 is a classic camera IMHO. These are just honest observations I've made having used these newer generation bodies. This claim may be hard to believe but it's true. D40 acuity higher than D7000, the d40 ISO noise levels are better than the D2XS as well (I sold my D2XS and kept my D40 before getting the D700).

What do you think?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow