Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 an overly hyped lens?

Started Sep 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,891Gear list
Like?
Re: must have very low expectations
In reply to gulffish, Sep 16, 2011

gulffish wrote:

Anders W wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

Over the years there have been a plethera of inexpensive 35 or 50/1.7-2.0 lenses that all produced excellent results for peanuts and gave much more DoF control on 35mm than the 20 on m43 and there was never any great hype surrounding any of them (unless they where Leica or Zeiss), so I just don't understand the hype surrounding the Panny 20.

Over the years, I have held quite a few fast 35, 50 and 85 mm lenses in my hands. None of them has been close to the performance of the 20/1.7 wide open or thereabout. When stopped down to f/2.8 or so, many of them have been quite good but when I buy a fast prime, especially these days, I do it primarily because I want to use it at really wide apertures. The uniquely good thing about the 20/1.7 is that it provides full payback in that particular respect.

As to DOF control, this is not something I care about for a lens of this FOV. And the degree of such control at any given aperture and subject magnification is a matter of sensor size rather than lens characteristics.

Finaly, a meaningful, thoughtful aduld comment! Thanks for breaking up the food fight.

Glad to meet someone who sees eye to eye with me on this.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow