GRd to GRd III upgrade?

Started Sep 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?
Re: GRd to GRd III upgrade?
In reply to stewartpratt, Sep 16, 2011

The GRD II and III do not really offer anything more that I want so I'll stay with the GRD1. Also the jpeg engine and speed in focusing is not quite as good for GRDII and III. If I really would need raw for some very rare moment then I can stand the 9 secs raw writing for once. Instead for going for some new model like Samsung EX1, S95 or S100 with faster lens but worse jpeg engine, I decided to go for a GX100 which had got its zoom wrecked by sand on a beach. Got it cheaply enough.

I'll send it in for repair, pay 119 euro to get the zoom and ccd replaced. I wouldn't have done that hadn't it been the GX200/s10 revision of that zoom which have better dust coating, probably less mad sample variation than for the first revision for GX100, but also the same ccd which the GXR S10 uses which means lower noise levels. I don't see it as a replacement but rather as a compliment to the GRD1 which I'll use for low light if everything goes well regarding the repair.

I'm tempted to try the first GX 5mp as well. These old models have become bargains as used and the jpeg engine is not some smeary or destroying mess.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow